Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Reflection of the Hard Times at the Academic Boot Camp (ABC)

Boom, boom, boom, is the sound I hear as I try to sleep, I am awaken by a group of mentors saying, “Time to get paid” I look at my alarm clock and see that it is five thirty. My body wants to get back in bed, but my mind is not letting me. I feel like I am being pulled by two huge tractor trailers. On one hand I could go back to sleep and have to run later, which would be worse because of the extra activities I would have to complete as punishment. And on the other, I could just get up and work-out and get it over with. Right now, this is one of the hardest decisions I have to make. But, being the pride-filled person I am, I decide to go ahead and take the time to work-out. I put on my work-out clothes, wake up my roommate, and head to the gym. As I am walking I start to ponder whether all of this hard work and dedication is worth it. (This is a question that has plagued me ever since I stepped foot on campus.) There are too many thoughts going through my mind at this time. But, as I make my way to the gym I see a group of about thirty other camp goers. And I tell myself that if they can do it I can too. This means a whole lot to me because me being the person that I am and growing up as always the youngest out the whole group, I would not like to be out done by any one at anything. While entering the gym I remember what my mother used to tell me. “You only fail at the things you don’t try.” So I began to work-out. It gets hard sometimes but I know that if I just take it one day at a time I will reach my full potential and leave this camp as a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment